?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Cream of Mushroom Soup

When my dad was in college, he had the opportunity to eat cream of mushroom soup for the first time ever. Out of a can.

I don't know if it was served at the college dining hall or somewhere else.

Cream of mushroom soup was the greatest thing my dad had ever eaten up to this point. And like any young person on his own -- away from his parents -- for the first time, he decided to eat cream of mushroom soup all the time. He went to the grocery store and purchased as many cans of it as possible. Then my dad ate cream of mushroom soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing else. Who knows, he might have even had a can of it in between meals. No joke.

After about two weeks, my dad developed a bad rash all over his body. He went to the doctor to find out what it was. The doctor couldn't see any usual reasons why my dad would have such a rash. He hadn't had contact with poison ivy. The rash wasn't hives. So the doctor asked, "Have you changed the way you do anything lately? Not taking a shower after exercising? Eating different foods?...

My dad mentioned his sole diet of cream of mushroom soup. The doctor knew my dad had developed a rash from too much of a good thing. He told him to stop eating cream of mushroom soup immediately, and if he wanted to eat it again to eat it in moderation.

Posted via LiveJournal.app.

Tags:

Comments

( 1 comment — Leave a comment )
emschin
Apr. 6th, 2010 07:16 pm (UTC)
That is very interesting! First, that he would eat only cream of mushroom soup for a long time.
Tho, at one time in my Mother's life my brother's wife was doing her shopping. She commented that Mom only bought a few of the same staples.

Interesting, too, that it would make him develop a rash. I wonder what was in the soup.
( 1 comment — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2011
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031